Strategic Plan 2012 – 2014January 3, 2012
DV Commission Strategic Plan, 2012 – 2014
Throughout 2011, a committee of the DV Commission met and did research in the community to create a new strategic plan to guide the DV Commission’s initiatives over the next three years. At its October 4, 2011 meeting, the full DV Commission approved the strategic plan.
You download the DV Commission Strategic Plan: 2012 – 2014 from our website, and read below for a summary of the plan.
Mission & Purpose
In accordance with the City of Bellingham and Whatcom County ordinances that established the DV Commission, the Bellingham-Whatcom County Commission Against Domestic Violence provides leadership in our community’s efforts to reduce and prevent domestic violence.
To fulfill this vital mission, we:
- Develop, implement and monitor a comprehensive domestic violence plan.
- Increase community awareness and understanding of domestic violence.
- Serve as an advisory body regarding domestic violence issues to local governments, service agencies and the community as a whole.
- Develop community benchmarks to monitor change.
- Promote collaboration and coordination among all institutions, systems and services that respond to victims, children, offenders and others who are impacted by domestic violence.
- Serve as a community forum on domestic violence and create a mechanism for identifying issues, concerns, needs and resources.
In the upcoming years, the DV Commission will focus on the following areas:
- Enhance the community response to children impacted by domestic violence.
- Conduct a formal fatality review of recent intimate partner homicides.
- Conduct a perpetrator systems review.
- Ensure follow-up on past DV Commission projects.
In addition, the DV Commission will continue its on-going projects, including:
- Coordination of Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM).
- Compiling and publishing the Benchmark Report, considering the inclusion of additional benchmarks on an annual basis.
- Updating and publishing the Dating and Domestic Violence Resource Manual.
- Providing annual presentations to the City and County Councils of Whatcom County.
Throughout this time period, all DV Commission projects will focus on the following tactics:
- Accomplishing systems change using the influence of DV Commission members.
- Providing high-level professional trainings and conferences.
- Raising community awareness, including collaborating with the media.
- Reporting out to local government on changes needed and accomplishments made.
- Ensuring consideration of cultural competency in all DV Commission projects.
← Domestic Violence and Communities of Color In Memoriam: Ellen Pence →